Site officiel de Plougastel

Vous êtes ici : Tourisme / Histoire de la commune

Histoire de la commune

Histoire de la commune

Aux origines :

Paroisse bretonne primitive fondée vers le VIème siècle, Plougastel "la paroisse du château" doit sans doute son nom à "l'oppidum" de Roc'h Nivelen. Jadis, son bourg chef-lieu, était appelé en breton "Gwikastell", nom que porta aussi une famille noble de la paroisse, dont un des représentants, Hervé de Guicastel, mourut abbé de Daoulas en 1281.

Originellement, son territoire devait s'étendre jusqu'à Landerneau et Daoulas, englobant les communes de Loperhet, Dirinon, Saint-Urbain, Saint-Thomas de Landerneau et le nord de Daoulas. Une vaste et épaisse forêt, dite "de Thalamon" aurait autrefois couvert la rive gauche de l'Elorn.

C'est au XIème siècle que Plougastel est mentionné pour la première fois : l'abbaye de Landévennec y avait alors des possessions. Ce fut surtout l'abbaye de Daoulas qui, dès 1173, y étendit son emprise : d'elle dépendirent, outre divers lieux, le prieuré de la "Rose des Moines" (aujourd'hui La Fontaine Blanche") et, comme vicariat perpétuel, l'église paroissiale. Les hameaux sont regroupés en "Breuriez", unités de territoire impliquant collectivement le culte des morts et l'entraide aux vivants. Autour des chapelles s'organisent huit "Kordenned", relais entre la paroisse et les fidèles.

Au XVème et au XVIème siècles, Plougastel s'enrichit grâce à la culture du lin et du chanvre. Les toiles fabriquées sont exportées jusqu'en Espagne, en Angleterre ainsi qu'au Portugal. Beaucoup de paysans achètent leurs terres et deviennent propriétaires ; la paroisse construit sept des huit chapelles.

En 1598, la peste sévit à Plougastel. En actions de grâces, le calvaire est édifié de 1602 à 1604. Les manufactures de Colbert, vers 1675, ruinent pratiquement l'industrie de la toile. La production agricole évolue vers les céréales et, grâce à la douceur du climat, le maraîchage prospère. Le fraisier du Chili, importé par Frézier, est signalé à Plougastel dès 1766.

L'époque contemporaine :

La Révolution de 1789 surprend une communauté homogène dont la principale hantise est le collecteur d'impôts. Le cahier des doléances, outre la surcharge des taxes, exprime le mécontentement à l'égard des moines de Daoulas. Mais en 1791, la population soutient les trois prêtres qui refusent de prêter serment à la Constitution.

 

War zouar ha war vor - "Sur terre et sur mer"'

La configuration mer et terre de la presqu'île conforte une double activité. La flotille s'accroît, drague les coquilles Saint-Jacques et les amendements marins utiles à l'agriculture. L'église paroissiale du XVIème siècle paraît trop modeste aux sept mille paroissiens.

Elle est abattue, le cimetière déplacé et une église plus vaste est reconstruite en 1870. Au début de ce siècle, lors de la séparation de l'Eglise et de l'Etat, les Plougastels manifestent leurs convictions : la croix de l'école publique du Cléguer est portée à la mairie, en une procession qui réunit toute la population. La guerre de 1914-1918 frappe cruellement Plougastel qui déplorera 212 morts.

Toutes les familles sont touchées. Les femmes adoptent définitivement le costume de deuil, laissant aux seuls enfants le vêtement aux couleurs vives. En août 1944, les combats de la Libération détruisent le centre-bourg, endommagent le calvaire, font des dizaines de victimes. La paix revenue, Plougastel se reconstruit, adopte pour l'agriculture des modes de production intensive très performants, utilisant la culture sous serre. La fraise de Plougastel maintient sa renommée.
Membre de la Communauté urbaine de Brest depuis 1974 (rebaptisée Brest métropôle océane fin 2004), Plougastel a imposé une image dynamique et conviviale.

History

Origins :

The origins of Plougastel date back to a primitive parish founded around the 6th century A.D. Its name, meaning "the castle parish", probably derives from the oppidum at Roc'h Nivelen. The area’s principal township was formerly called "Gwikastell" in Breton. This was also the name of a family of nobles belonging to the parish, one member of which, Hervé de Guicastel, was abbot of Daoulas at the time of his death in 1281.

Originally, Plougastel's territory would have extended to Landerneau and Daoulas, and included the townships of Loperhet, Dirinon, Saint-Urbain, Saint-Thomas de Landerneau and the north of Daoulas. At this time, it is believed that a vast, dense forest, the Forest of Talamon, covered the left bank of the Elorn estuary. The first references to Plougastel date from the 11th century when it was held by the Abbey of Landévennec.

From 1173 onwards, the Abbey of Daoulas increased its hold on Plougastel where it notably had possession of the Rose des Moines priory (today La Fontaine Blanche) and, as a perpetual curacy, the parish church. The hamlets were regrouped in Breuriez, parish territories that collectively held celebratory masses for the dead during which they distributed food and alms to the poor. Eight Kordenned were organised around the chapels to establish a link between the parish and the congregations.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, Plougastel prospered and grew rich thanks to the cultivation of flax and hemp, exporting the cloth manufactured to Spain, England and Portugal. Many of the peasants became landowners, and the parish built seven of its eight chapels.

The Plougastel Calvary was erected between 1602 and 1604 as an ex-voto to mark the end of the plague that struck the parish in 1598. The manufacturing reforms introduced towards 1675 by Jean-Baptiste Colbert, French Minister of Finance, practically ruined Plougastel’s cloth industry. During the following century, new farming methods were initiated, including the planting of cereal crops and, thanks to the area’s mild climate, a prosperous market gardening industry. Cultivation of the famous Plougastel strawberries, imported from Chile by military engineer and explorer Amédée-François Frézier, began as early as 1766.

Modern history :

Although they lived in constant dread of the tax collector, the French Revolution of 1789 took the rather homogenous community by surprise. While its register of grievances also included discontent with regard to the monks at Daoulas, this did not prevent the community from publicly supporting the three priests who, in 1791, refused to swear allegiance to the Constitution.

"War zouar ha war vor" - On land and on sea :

 Plougastel’s main industries, defined by the peninsula's geography, have always been agriculture and fishing. The growing fishing fleet harvested the region’s famous Saint-Jacques scallops, as well as seaweed to be used as fertilizer on the agricultural lands.

Considered too small for the seven thousand parishioners, the 16th century parish church was demolished, and the cemetery moved, to make room for a bigger church built in 1870. With the separation of Church and State at the beginning of the 20th century, the inhabitants of Plougastel-Daoulas took an open stand for their faith, the entire population participating in a procession to carry the cross from the Cléguer public school to the Town Hall.

The First World War took a heavy toll on Plougastel with the loss of 212 members of the community. Not one family was left that had not lost a loved one. As a result, the women permanently adopted mourning dress, leaving only the children to wear colours other than black.

During the liberation of France in August 1944, the centre of the town was destroyed, killing dozens and seriously damaging the Calvary. With the return of peace after World War II, Plougastel started rebuilding itself. Farming turned to more productive methods, notably intensive greenhouse cultivation, further increasing the fame of the Plougastel strawberries.

Since 1974 Plougastel has been a member of the Urban Community of Brest, (renamed Brest métropole océane in 2004), within which it has established a reputation for being a very dynamic, welcoming town.